Sunday, January 4, 2009

Best of 2008 (Shamos)

BEST OF 2008

Somewhat of a big year for myself, found a great girl, I finished my Business Degree in December, it only took 10 years!! Started in the Fall 1999 will graduate class of 2009 (I took 5 years off to play rock n’ roll and roam Canada.) All-in-all it was a great year, and it was capped off by taking the stage with my closest friends in a very drunkin’ sloppy but fun-filled reunion show.

I didn’t buy a ton of new music this year compared to years past. I Feel like I mostly listened to old Ghost Face Killah and CCR, but here are some of my favs of 2008:

11. Gutter Twins- “Satunalia” [Sub Pop] – The Afghan Whigs are my favourite band of all time, so when Greg Dulli teamed up with Mark Lanegan I had high expectations. I don’t think this album meets all of my high hopes, but I like it. The Gutter Twins are better than the Twilight Singer’s stuff I had heard from Dulli. “Idle Hands” is a great single that reminds me of the rock I used to listen to as a teen.

10. The Darcy’s- “Endless Water” - A new Canadian band I discovered via working at the Capital. They were an energetic live show and seemed like nice guys. I had zero expectations for this record and ended up staying in my car stereo for a really long time. Endless Water I an easy listen that has enough layers to keep it interesting.

9. The Constantines- “Kensington Heights” [Arts & Crafts]- A record I didn’t like at first……but c’mon it’s the Cons, it grew on me a lot. A lot of bands/artist write about Canada, but this band sounds like Canada (if that makes sense).

8. The Hold Steady- “Stay Positive” [Vagrant]- This record made a lot of year-end lists. Craig Finn is the American version of Jon K Samson. I didn’t like this album at first but after a few spins in the car it was a new favourite. Great Lyrics and Big Guitar Riffs is never a bad combination.

7. Sebastien Grainger and the Mountains [Saddle Creek]- This dude seems like a total dickhead, but he’s not the first dickhead to have written some great songs. Deep down I think it pains a part of me to like this album, it’s like the musical equivalent of shopping at American Apparel. I don’t want to be associated with the crowd, but the shit is good/comfortable.

6.My Morning Jacket- “Evil Urges” [ATO]- An early Favourite of 2008, This band just keeps getting more fucked-up and great. The “Peanutbutter-Pudding Surprise” of 2008!!


5..Grand Theft Bus- “Made Upwards” [Forward Music Group] – This isn’t making the list because I’m Forward Music Group’s Internet promo donkey, this album is a fantastic pop rock record. This is GTB’s strongest effort to date, unbelievably catchy and songs like “Roses” get stuck in my head for days.

4. Okkervile River- “Stand ins” [Jagjaguwar] – This one made my list at the last minute (I actually bought this record in 2009) This album is great, I thought it was brilliant through the first listen. Okkervile River is the sound that I’m looking for, but never get, when I listen to The National. A very fulfilling album filled with great lyrics and melodies.

3. The Bronx- “III” [White Drugs] – In my opinion The Bronx are the only band that matters in current Hard-core Punk rock. I hear a lot about “Fucked-up” and a few other cutting edge punk rock bands, but to me the Bronx is the only one that gets me jacked up and excited about a guy yelling at me for 30+ Minutes. This album is much more rock n’roll than previous records. “Six Days a Week” has one of the best hooks/choruses I’ve heard this year.

2. Mother Mother – “O My heart” [Last Gang]- One hell of a follow-up record. This album is a little less quirky than their previous effort, but I think it’s a much more solid and complete album. Catchiest record of 2008 and likely the most under-rated band in Canada.

1. Shad K- “The Old Prince” [Black Box]- The world needs more of this: clever, thoughtful, positive great hip-hop. Shad is a true talent, he seems very humble and when he is cocky it’s very tongue in cheek. I love every track on this record. It’s no wonder it was short-listed for the Polaris Award and is my favourite record of 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers